[R] custom graphing of box and whisker plots

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Sat Jun 30 00:17:18 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-29 11:09, briannamwright wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> Thanks for your help - I took a look at ?bxp and ?boxplot. I guess I'm just
> uncertain about how to specify "z"  in bxp(), not sure I'm quite
> understanding how the function works.

Just generate the list; see the Value section in ?boxplot.
It seems that all you need is a list consisting of two
components: 'stats', a matrix of the relevant numbers,
and 'names'. Use your data to construct a 5-row, 3-column
matrix. Each column should have, _in the appropriate order_,
the 5 values listed on the help page for boxplot. Your
original post did not specify medians; just make up any
number that falls inside the box and use a transparent
colour for the median line in the plot.

Say you call your matrix M. Then

   z <- list(stats = M, names = c("A", "B", "C"))

can be fed to bxp:

   bxp(z, medcol = 0, whisklty = "dotted", boxfill = "green")

for example.

Peter Ehlers