[R] package ‘rggobi’ is not available (for R version 2.15.0)

YTP cprice at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 21:03:27 CEST 2012

My criticism is aimed at the previous reply, which gave an arcane and not
helpful suggestion (granted, it may only seem that way to me because of my
own incompetence, but I don't know that the knowledge needed to understand
"binary package" and "install from the sources" is what you want to
require/assume of all R users) which was especially disappointing given the
much simpler solution that exists.

More aggravating is the GGobi website which only has a 64 bit download,
which required much work to find a 32 bit download, whereupon the package
RGGobi only produces a non-descriptive error message, which required days of
reading through many forums which only have complicated half-solutions, and
then find in the middle of the readme file that the package just doesn't
work with the latest version of R. Not to mention saying it's only available
for 32 bit installations is completely contradictory to only having the 64
bit version of GGobi available.

I still stand by saying that this is a very poor user experience in
acquiring a package and getting it to work.

To say the workaround I found "only takes 5 seconds" is akin to saying "well
if you did the thing that works first you'd have solved your problem much
quicker", which is of course vacuously true, but ignores the time spent
beforehand which was orders of magnitude greater timewise.

My post is clearly about one specific package, there is no basis to think I
am criticizing the work done by some large group of CRAN maintainers, let
alone anyone in particular not associated with the one package relevant to
my post.