[R] Defining multiple variables in a loop

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 00:01:31 CEST 2012

To elaborate on what Bert said:

Lists are a variable length data structure which can hold most
anything (even other lists) in them and are a great way to organize
the sort of data you're working with. You can think of them as
"generic vectors." You can assign them names and access/subset them by
names or by element number. Perhaps most usefully, instead of passing
all the vectors to a function which may need them, you can simply pass
the one list object. This will make things much easier to maintain in
the long run/

Most everything complicated in R like data.frames or model objects are
internally implemented as lists (with various added features) and they
[lists] are exceptionally powerful. It will seem like more overhead
now than the lots-of-simple-vectors approach, but in the long run, it
will be most certainly worth it.

Best,
Michael