[R] STRUCCHANGE DETECTING BREAKPOINTS IN A TIME SERIES

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Wed Jun 20 10:32:07 CEST 2012

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, denissearchundia wrote:

> HI
>
> i'm trying to detect breaks points in various flow time series, they all
> contains  seasonality and trend
> my question is :
>
> i have to remove this seasonality and trend before apply the function
> breakpoints du package strucchange??

I would recommend not removing deterministic seasonality/trend but instead
including them in the model. The "strucchange" package contains various
examples for this, see the various examples and accompanying papers.

For data that is not (trend-)stationary, appropriate differencing is
typically recommended.

If the breaks in trend and the breaks in season are likely to occur at
different times, the "bfast" package (building on "strucchange") may be
useful in estimating more parsimonious models.

> another question, the function breakpoints is similar to de Pettit tests ?
> or how does it realy works?

I don't how the de Pettit tests so I can't say much about these. The
methods implemented in strucchange are described in detail in various
papers. See citation("strucchange") and help("breakpoints") for starting
points.

hth,