[R] Using object as literal value in list vector

LCOG1 jroll at lcog.org
Wed Jun 20 02:31:44 CEST 2012

Hello all ,
  This is a pretty simple question I think but cannot find an answer on the
list or in my brain.  I would like to iterate through a loop and use a
vector of strings to name a number of list elements.  For instance

       #Create vector of strings
	Et<- c("ACC","RTL","WHL")
	MeanValues_ <- list("ACC" = 1000, "RTL" = 2000, "WHL" = 3000)

	#Iterate through each element of vector
	NewMeans_ <- list()
	for(et in Et){
		NewMeans_ <- c(NewMeans_,list(et = unlist(MeanValues_[et]) * .80 ))
	}

Returns
> NewMeans_
$et
ACC
800

$et
 RTL
1600

$et
 WHL
2400

But I want 'et' to be the object value of et, so it would be $ACC, $RTL, and
$WHL.  I realize there may be another way to actually do what I want to do
as far as applying the calculation but I have a bunch of code structured
around the need for my list coming in a certain way.  Thanks

Josh