[R] Using Sub

Phil Hurvitz phurvitz at uw.edu
Tue Jun 19 22:44:57 CEST 2012

Possibly overkill, I use a Windows batch file that calls a perl script.
Both the bat and pl files need to be in the executable path. Open a
command prompt, type `pwd ' and then drag the file or folder from the
Windows Explorer to the cmd. The script will return the file with
backslashes converted to forward slashes. Then I copy and paste from the
cmd window into my R script.

c:\>more c:\bin\batch\pwd.BAT
@echo off
c:\bin\batch\pwd.pl %1

c:\>more c:\bin\batch\pwd.pl
#! /usr/bin/perl -w
# prints pwd with forward slashes for R

use File::Basename;

#print $#ARGV;

if ($#ARGV == -1) {
   $pwd = `cd`;
   chomp $pwd;
}
else {
   $pwd = $ARGV[0];
}
print "$pwd";

-P.

Philip M. Hurvitz, PhD | Research Assistant Professor | UW-CBE
Urban Form Lab  | 1107 NE 45th Street, Suite 535  | Box 354802
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington  98195-4802, USA
phurvitz at u.washington.edu | http://gis.washington.edu/phurvitz
"What is essential is invisible to the eye." -de Saint-Exupéry