[R] Apply() on columns

faelsendoorn f.a.elsendoorn at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:29:26 CEST 2012

Hi,

It wasn't my purpose to quote the assignment here, but since my example is
crappy I will.
So I'am a manager of a supermarket and interested in the average working
hours per employee.
At  http://www.mijnbestand.nl/Bestand-6Z8PB7VNSUHZ.txt this link  you can
find the dataset.
The dataset contains the total number of employees (first 5 columns)
together with the number of worked hours (last 5 columns) of the evening
filling team of the supermarket over the period 2 Januari 1992 until 2
January 1993 (each row contains the data of one week). Summerize the data as
informative as possible for the manager; use graphical and numerical
summaries for this. For this you may use the function apply. To load these
data you may prefer to use the R-function read.table instead of the function
scan.

By graphical summary I thougt of: boxplot, histogram, qqplot
By numerical summary I thougt of: 5pointssummary.

How can I use apply (because I must use that function) in order to make
those summaries?

Yours

Frans Elsendoorn