[R] Error while installing R on RHEL 6

John jwd at surewest.net
Tue Jun 19 04:16:00 CEST 2012

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 02:26:32 -0700 (PDT)
Manish Gupta <mandecent.gupta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install R from source and using configure command but
> gettting one error message.
>
> *configure: error: --with-readline=yes (default) and headers/libs are
> not available*
>
> I am installing on server which is not connected by net so can
> install by source only. Can u pls suggest me how to rectify such pblm.

Manish,

If you are installing from source, then presumably you have
unpacked the tar.gz source in a directory and run ./configure.
Configure will write out a log file that should tell you precisely what
you need to install if elements are missing.  Readline is GNU library
that you need to install explicitly in some flavors linux.  It permits
editing lines and recalling history in terminal applications.  BTW,
simply search on the web will usually answer questions like these.  You
are not unique in needing to decipher obscure error messages.

JDougherty