[R] How can I "declutter"/make a biplot less messy in R

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:39:16 CEST 2012

Hi Derek,

It's good form to provide an example with code so that we can see what
functions you're using and what you've tried.

I'm going to assume that you're using princomp(). Here's one way to
reduce the clutter:

pc.cr <- princomp(USArrests, cor = TRUE)
biplot(pc.cr, xlabs=rep("x", nrow(USArrests)))

You can also change the colors and the scalings: see
?biplot.princomp
and
?biplot.default
for details.

Outlier removal may not be a good idea.

You also didn't tell us what your intent was: a publication-quality
plot? Something simply for you to look at yourself? Without knowing
that, it's hard to "improve" it.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee