[R] Need to append vector to all levels of nested list WITHOUT a loop

Johannes Reichl reichl at energieinstitut-linz.at
Mon Jun 18 15:54:07 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

I have a list betaMoments with 2 levels, e.g.

> beta1 = list(
+		 m = 4,
+		 v = 5
+		 )
> beta2 = list(
+		 m = 6,
+		 v = 7
+		 )

> betaMoments = list()
> betaMoments[[1]] =  beta1
> betaMoments[[2]] =  beta2

and I have a matrix Names which has the same number of lines as the
list has first level elements (here 2; beta1 and beta2). Now I need to
make every line of Names (e.g. Names[1,] = c(2,3,4)) to become an
element of the corresponding list element. For example, calling
betaMoments[[1]] shall return

> betaMoments[[1]]
$m
[1] 4

$v
[1] 5

$line
[1] c(2,3,4) ... thats Names[1,]

I can not do it with a loop since I need to execute this list
construction way too often. So I need a speedy solution.

Would be great if someone could help me, this really keeps me away from
resolving the true issues.

Regards, Johannes

Dr. Johannes Reichl
Project Manager
Energy Institute at the Johannes Kepler University Linz
Altenberger Straße 69
A-4040 Linz
Tel.: +43-732-2468-5652
Fax: +43-732-2468-5651