[R] moving from loops to apply

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Fri Jun 15 13:49:04 CEST 2012

Hello,

Simple question with reproducible example code.
The best way to go is to know to what dimension you want to apply the
function, the 1st, and to write the function in such a way as to have
the passed rows as the first argument. If it has other arguments, they
go after. Since your function is already written like this, there's
little left to be done.

d2 <- apply(x, 1, distancer, y)  # note the other arg.
dim(d2)
all.equal(distances, t(d2))

Why this transpose? Because apply is passing _row_vectors_ and the
function's return values are vectors, in R, _columns_.
Were it applying the function to columns and the return value would be
with the right dims. Like this just assign

d2 <- t(d2) # or d2 <- t(apply(...etc...))

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas