[R] Open windows explorer with specific path using system command

syrvn mentor_ at gmx.net
Thu Jun 14 12:14:45 CEST 2012

Hello!

I found out that it is possible to open the windows explorer with a
predefined path via the cmd.exe program using the following command:

explorer PATH

Back in R using the following command opens up the windows explorer:

system("explorer", intern=TRUE)

However, when I specify a path R returns the following warning message and
does not open the explorer at the specified path:

> system("explorer C:\\Users\\xxx", intern=TRUE)
character(0)
attr(,"status")
[1] 1
Warning message:
running command 'explorer C:\Users\xxx' had status 1

I quoted the \ otherwise R complained about not recognising \U from \Users.

However, when the command is executed as we would expect the double \\ are
replaced by only one \.

When I copy paste the explorer C:\Users\xxx bit from the R warning message
into the cmd.exe program the explorer is opened up at the specified path.

Does anybody have any idea why that fails?

Many thanks
Syrvn