[R] Two-way linear model with interaction but without one main effect

Helios de Rosario helios.derosario at ibv.upv.es
Tue Jun 12 16:07:14 CEST 2012

Thanks for the suggestion, Thierry.

Nevertheless, in this example I'm not considering "shoe" as a random,
nuisance factor with zero mean. I'm considering three specific shoe
models, and I'm interested in modelling how the output changes between
the different shoes for those grounds, given that the average output is
the same for all shoes. That's not the type of question addressed by a
mixed model, I'm afraid.

Helios

<Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be>
escribió:
> Dear Helios,
>
> I think you rather want a mixed model with shoe as random effect.
>
> library(lme4)
> lmer(Y ~ Ground + (1|Shoe)) #the effect of shoe is independent of the
ground
> effect
> or
> lmer(Y ~ Ground + (0 + Ground|Shoe)) #the effect of shoe is different
per
> ground.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thierry
>
> ir. Thierry Onkelinx
> Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for
Nature and
> Forest
> team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / team Biometrics & Quality
Assurance