[R] Data.frames can not hold objects...What can be done in the following scenario?

Onur Uncu onuruncu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 23:35:04 CEST 2012

Rui and the R-help team,

In Rui's helpful answer below, the function returns a list as output.
When we apply() the function to the data.frame, dataframe$newcolumn
has 2 layers of list before we can access each vector elements. For
instance, dataframe$newcolumn[[1]][[1]] is a vector whereas
dataframe$newcolumn and dataframe$newcolumn[[1]] are lists. Is there a
solution that involves less layers of lists? I am just trying to
understand the R language better.

Thank you.