[R] Applying a function to a column of a data frame

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Jun 9 19:21:52 CEST 2012

On Jun 9, 2012, at 1:02 PM, Onur Uncu wrote:

> Thank you Michael. One follow up question: In the solution using
> apply(), why are we feeding x[2] inside testfun instead of x[[2]]?
> Aren't we supposed to feed the vector of values to the function, which
> is achieved by x[[2]]?

`apply` sends the columns of data to the receiving function as a
vector. It has already effectively done an unlist operation on
dfrm[ row, ]. If I am reading the code for `apply` correctly that is
because it coerced its dataframe argument to a matrix with this code:

if (is.object(X))
         X <- if (dl == 2L)
             as.matrix(X)
         else as.array(X)