[R] help with rle function on paired data

Steve E. searl at vt.edu
Fri Jun 8 23:33:15 CEST 2012

Dear R Community - I hope you might be able to provide some guidance
regarding the use of the rle function. I have a set of time-series data
where a measured value is recorded every 30 seconds after the start of an
experiment. Many of the measured values repeat and I am interested only in
the values when there is a change. If I turn the measured values into a
vector, the rle function works perfectly for this but I need also the
corresponding time of the value and I am not sure how to use rle on paired
data. Below is a brief example to help explain the problem. I thank you in
advance for any assistance you might be able to provide. Regards, Steve

Original dataset:

ElpsdTime, DataValue
0, 1
30, 1