[R] "Re-creating" distributions

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 05:06:20 CEST 2012

Short answer: no, those are (in general) insufficient parameters to
characterize a distribution.

Long answer: unfortunately, it's not uncommon that those "summary
statistics" are the only ones reported based on someone or other's
limited experience with the Gaussian. There are a few things you could
try, but each of them has problems:

i) Pretend like your data is in fact normal and use those parameters
because they do uniquely characterize a normal distribution. MASS
(among others) provides a multivariate normal distribution [mvrnorm]
if you have a covariance matrix available.

ii) If you have reason to imagine another distribution [guided by
domain knowledge], try to get its parameters in so far as possible by
moment matching. Covariance structures are much harder for the general
case though.

iii) If you can get something that resembles original data, simply
work by bootstrapping / imputation.

Hope this helps,
Michael