[R] extracting values from txt file that follow user-supplied quote

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Thu Jun 7 20:57:22 CEST 2012

Hello,

I've just read your follow-up question on regular expressions, and I
believe this, your original problem, can be made much faster. Just use
readLine() differently, reading large amounts of text lines at a time.
For this to work you will still need to know the total number of lines
in the file.

fun <- function(con, pattern, nlines, n=5000L){
	if(is.character(con)){
		con <- file(con, open="rt")
		on.exit(close(con))
	}
	passes <- nlines %/% n
	remaining <- nlines %% n
	res <- NULL
	for(i in seq_len(passes)){
		txt <- readLines(con, n=n)
		res <- c(res, as.numeric(substr(txt[grepl(pattern, txt)], 70, 78)))
	}
	if(remaining){
		txt <- readLines(con, n=remaining)
		res <- c(res, as.numeric(substr(txt[grepl(pattern, txt)], 70, 78)))
	}
	res
}

url <- "http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4632558/MCR.out"
pat <- "PERCENT DISCREPANCY ="
num_lines <- 14405247L

# your original
txt_con<-file(description=url,open="r")
pd <- NULL
t1 <- system.time(
for(i in 1:num_lines){
   txt_line<-readLines(txt_con,n=1)
   if (length(grep(pat,txt_line))) {
     pd<-c(pd,as.numeric(substr(txt_line,70,78)))
   }
}
)
close(txt_con)

# the function above, increased 'n'
t2 <- system.time(pd2 <- fun(url, pat, num_lines, 100000L))

all.equal(pd, pd2)
[1] TRUE
rbind(original=t1, fun=t2, ratio=t1/t2)
          user.self sys.self  elapsed user.child sys.child
original    780.16   196.16 981.9100         NA        NA
fun           0.10     0.04   3.2000         NA        NA
ratio      7801.60  4904.00 306.8469         NA        NA

A factor of 300.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas