[R] Converiting longitude/latitude to utm

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 10:57:17 CEST 2012

UTM needs a +zone and +south marker for the southern hemisphere, so
your PROJ.4 specification is incomplete, probably assuming +zone=1
which is completely wrong for longitude=126.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Utm-zones.jpg

Longitude 126.59 suggests zone 51 or 52, but it really depends on your
local usage and could be for the northern or southern hemisphere, and
the appropriate datum to be used. You should find out these details to
ensure you are targetting the right projection. It won't matter for
this simple example, but it might when you start sharing the data with
others. This is also important for the datum used for the
longitude/latitude values, you really should find out whether WGS84 is
a sensible assumption (probably ok for GDA94, but not older Australian
datums for example). These details really matter and you will save
pain if you ensure that you know them. (There are Australian datums
that a default GDAL build cannot transform between by name and
requires explicit parameters, as an example).

You could try the R-Sig-Geo mailing list as a better group for this
topic, and please declare your use of contributed packages, here sp
and rgdal. Here's an example that can work:

library(sp)
library(rgdal)

SP <- SpatialPoints(cbind(126.59,-14.30), proj4string =
CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84"))

coordinatesUTM <- spTransform(SP, CRS("+proj=utm +south +zone=52 +datum=WGS84"))

coordinatesUTM
SpatialPoints:
     coords.x1 coords.x2
[1,]  240015.6   8417744
Coordinate Reference System (CRS) arguments: +proj=utm +south +zone=52
+datum=WGS84 +ellps=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0

Also note that the rgdal function project() can be used to do simpler
transformations on matrices, though it cannot do datum conversions
(not relevant here but worth knowing).

Cheers, Mike.