[R] Fwd: regsubsets (Leaps)

farmedgirl ksteinmann at cdpr.ca.gov
Sat Jun 2 05:08:16 CEST 2012

hi peter,
another question for you, if you are willing. well actually, both this
question and the question i just asked Bert are for anybody willing to
answer! I very much appreciate your opinions!

My dependent variable is an annual total. However most (tho not all) of the
250+ variables are at a daily resolution. I aggregated the x's up to annual
levels, resulting in 17 years, n=17 because:

1) it seemed the data should be consistent, and reflect the limiting
coarsest resolution - ... but maybe this is backward - maybe im losing too
much information by aggregating?

2) this predictive model will be used by non-statasticians to experiment
with how the Y will change when various Xs will change. Since the Y has to
be at at an annual level, it seems weird to predict it by playing with
changes in the Xs that take place on a daily level. For instance, one
variable is the amount of pesticides used by stone fruit growers. I have
totaled this to yearly amounts. hence a user of the model could experiment
in changes of the Y if they thought pesticides likely to increase or
decrease from previous years.

If i 'un-aggragate' the data, i will have thousands upon thousands of data
points - every single pesticide application reported in a year. however any
model developed off of this will then be asking 'how will the annual Y
change when an individual application of pesticide to stone fruit  increases
or decreases', and that question just doesnt really make any sense to me...

I apologize in advance if i am in any way abusing this forum by posting so
many questions on this topic.  But I appreciate the help if you have any
opinions!

thanks
-Kim