[R] How can I declare an empty zoo object?

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 06:47:39 CEST 2012

Hi,

When you cbind two zoo objects, I guess the index should match, otherwise it gives warning messages:

x1zoo_f<-zoo(rnorm(5,25),c(1,5,10,15,9))
xzoo<-zoo(c(5,9,10,15),c(1,5,9,10,15))
cbind(xzoo,x1zoo_f)
   xzoo  x1zoo_f
1     5 24.85877
5     9 25.09264
9    10 25.79896
10   15 26.70625
15    5 24.63533
#If index is different
xzoo<-zoo(c(5,9,10,15,25), 1:5)
 cbind(xzoo,x1zoo_f)
   xzoo  x1zoo_f
1     5 24.85877
2     9       NA
3    10       NA
4    15       NA
5    25 25.09264
9    NA 25.79896
10   NA 26.70625
15   NA 24.63533
Warning message:
In merge.zoo(..., all = all, fill = fill, suffixes = suffixes, retclass = "zoo",  :
  Index vectors are of different classes: integer numeric
######## now, with empty zoo object with same index
xzoo<-zoo(,c(1,5,9,10,15))
 str(xzoo)
‘zoo’ series (without observations)
 cbind(xzoo,x1zoo_f)