[R] How can I use IPF function correctly?

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Mon Jul 30 19:34:03 CEST 2012

I’m not sure what SAS is doing (or if you are using it correctly).  In R you
do not create marginal totals independent of the data and try to fit them to
the data. In your first example you create a matrix called raw, but you do
not use it for anything. Your loglin() call is for the all cells 16.67 and
then you fit a model in which the row and column marginal totals are used
but not the row*column marginal. I’m not really sure what you are trying to
accomplish with that.

In your second example you create three variables and then want to fit
another set of marginal totals that seem to be roughly equal distribution
for rows/columns/pages except that race has four categories but tart.reg has
only three???

If the null hypothesis for these data is no interaction between the
variables and that each category should have the same proportion of cases:
age=c(1/3, 1/3, 1/3), gender=c(1/2, 1/2), race=c(1/4, 1/4, 1/4, 1/4), then
try this:

mytable <- xtabs(~age+gender+race, rawdat) # table() loses the variable
names

loglin(mytable, margin=list(0), fit=TRUE)

If you want to preserve the marginal totals for each variable, but not any
interactions between them use

loglin(mytable, margin=list(1, 2, 3), fit=TRUE)

If you want to fit the three two-way interactions use

loglin(mytable, margin=list(c(1, 2), c(2, 3), c(1, 3)), fit=TRUE)

If you want to fit the saturated table (all interactions), use

loglin(mytable, margin=list(c(1, 2, 3)), fit=TRUE)

-------
David