[R] Turning off continuation prompt?

Robert Baer rbaer at atsu.edu
Mon Jul 30 15:36:12 CEST 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:58:09 +0100 (BST) (Ted Harding)
<Ted.Harding at wlandres.net> wrote:
>> Greetings All.
>> My apologies for a question whose answer is probably
>> readily available somewhere (for some interpetation
>> of "somewhere") ...
>>
>> Say I have just typed (from a sheet of paper) several
>> lines into the R command-line, and what I see is:
>>
>>> chisq.test(matrix(c(3,6,3,4,4,
>> +                     4,1,4,6,5,
>> +                     2,7,4,2,5,
>> +                     8,2,4,4,2,
>> +                     3,4,5,4,4),ncol=5))
>>
>> Later, I find that would like to re-input the data part
>> of this command ("matrix(c(...)...)"). Without the "+"
>> continuation prompts, it would be easy to do this by
>> copy&paste with the mouse in one operation. With the "+"
>> marks there, I have to do the copy&paste for each separate line.
>>
>> So is there a way to suppress the output of the "+" at the
>> beginning of each continuation line?
At some level of complexity it is worth thinking of using a programming
front end to R rather than the basic GUI.  I have really benefited from
downloading RStudio myself, but there are any number of other choices
that might be suited to your needs as well. Knowing how long you have
been around this list, you probably can name more than I.
Rob