[R] use R remotely (ssh / shell / emacs)

Sun Jul 29 04:46:57 CEST 2012

Unix-ish operating systems often have X-Windows installed for GUI programs.  In this environment, it is very common to log in remotely and run GUI programs on the remote computer that open windows on your local screen.

It is also possible to run a vnc or Remote Terminal service/daemon on the remote computer so that you can see a copy of the GUI screen of the remote computer on your local computer. (RT is much more common on Microsoft Windows remote computers, vnc is more operating-system agnostic.)

R runs fine either way, but each approach has its own quirks and advantages.

Setting such software up is definitely off topic here.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing