[R] selecting a subset of files to be processed

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at wlandres.net
Sat Jul 28 20:32:29 CEST 2012

And, in addition to the tip from Rui (and similar from Joshua) below,
I would advise that there is one good reason not to try doing it
in "pure Linux".

The only source (that I know of) in Linux itself for random numbers
can be tapped by something like

  cat /dev/random > filename

/dev/random stores noise generated by the timings of system events
(keyboard presses, mouse-clicks, disk accesses, interrupts, etc.)
after subjecting them to a high-entropy stirring process. See:

  man random

It yields them in the form of random bytes (each of 8 random 0/1 bits)
and you would have to devise some means of coverting those onto a
form suitable for accessing a directory listing at random. Not a
pretty task!

There is also the command 'rand' available in the openSSL toolkit,
but that still outputs the results in the same format as /dev/random.

If you really want to do this outside R, the I would suggest writing
a little C program (to be run from the Linux command line). C can
do its own random number generation, with results returned as
real (double), and then apply these to select at random from the
contents of a file generated by something like

  ls filesdir > filelist.txt

and output the random selection.

Ted.