[R] Convert Package Interest?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 02:36:22 CEST 2012

On Jul 23, 2012, at 5:38 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:

> If you haven't already, you might try "findFn" in the sos package to
> look for other functions that do things similar to what your
> functions do.  If your package offers some functionality not present
> in other packages, I'd encourage you to submit it to CRAN.  Again,
> if you haven't already done this, you might wish to add links to
> functions in other packages that do similar but different things.
> Spencer

Do follow Spencer's excellent advice, and many thanks to him for the
very useful sos::findFn. You might also look at StackOverflow where I
can remember replying to a similar question (as it turns out, about a
year ago).

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7214781/converting-units-in-r

> On 7/23/2012 5:25 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Stephen Sefick
>> <sas0025 at auburn.edu> wrote:
>>> I am thinking about submitting a package to CRAN that contains
>>> some units
>>> conversion functions that I use on a regular basis.  Would this be
>>> helpful
>>> to the community, or would it be better to keep this as a personal
>>> package?
>>> I don't want to clutter CRAN.
>>> many thanks,

I think it would be quite useful to round up the various units efforts
and have them in a centrally package "location".

>> You might want to check out the udunits2 package on CRAN.

Thank you, Gabor. That package also requires installing an OS specific
program, also named "udunits2", for which the "udunits2" R-package
serves as a front-end. It appears to be primarily physical units.

>>> library(udunits2)
>>> ud.convert(1, "miles", "km")
>> [1] 1.609344
>
> --
> Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
> President and Chief Technology Officer
> Structure Inspection and Monitoring, Inc.
> 751 Emerson Ct.
> San José, CA 95126
> ph:  408-655-4567
> web:  www.structuremonitoring.com