[R] gsl lib version detected wrong during install

garunkel georg.schnabel at aon.at
Wed Jul 25 19:38:30 CEST 2012

Hello everyone,

I've tried to install the R gsl package but without success because R claims
there needs to be a gsl library version >= 1.12 installed on the system.
Actually gsl library version 1.12 is installed locally in my home directory
and I set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in .bash_profile to point to
corresponding bin and lib directory. gsl-config is accessible from
everywhere in the command prompt. R is installed at /usr/bin/R.

> install.packages("gsl",dependencies=TRUE)
Installiere Paket(e) nach
‘/home/georgs/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.14’
(da ‘lib’ nicht spezifiziert)
--- Bitte einen CRAN Spiegel für diese Sitzung auswählen ---
Lade Tcl/Tk Interface ... fertig
versuche URL 'http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/gsl_1.9-9.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 338684 bytes (330 Kb)
URL geöffnet
downloaded 330 Kb

* installing *source* package ‘gsl’ ...
** Paket ‘gsl’ erfolgreich entpackt und MD5 Summen überprüft
checking for gsl-config... /home/georgs/myprog/bin/gsl-config
checking if GSL version >= 1.12... checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
configure: error: Need GSL version >= 1.12
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘gsl’
* removing ‘/home/georgs/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.14/gsl’

Die heruntergeladenen Pakete sind in
        ‘/tmp/RtmpolE6BQ/downloaded_packages’
Warnmeldung:
In install.packages("gsl", dependencies = TRUE) :
  Installation des Pakets ‘gsl’ hatte Exit-Status ungleich 0

Any hints why R cannot detect the gsl-config version properly?

I appreciate your answers.

Thanks in advance,

Georg