[R] MANOVA polynomial contrasts

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jul 25 15:00:52 CEST 2012

Dear Gian,

How contrasts are created by default is controlled by the contrasts option:

> getOption("contrasts")
        unordered           ordered
"contr.treatment"      "contr.poly"

So, unless you've changed this option, contr.poly() will be used to generate orthogonal polynomial contrasts for an ordered factor, and you therefore need do nothing special to get this result. For example:

> (f <- ordered(sample(letters[1:3], 10, replace=TRUE)))
 [1] c c a a c c b c a c
Levels: a < b < c

> round(contrasts(f), 4)
          .L      .Q
[1,] -0.7071  0.4082
[2,]  0.0000 -0.8165
[3,]  0.7071  0.4082

For more information, see section 11 on statistical models in the manual "An Introduction to R," which is part of the standard R distribution, and in particular sections 11.1 and 11.1.1.

I hope that this clarifies the issue.

Best,
 John

John Fox
Sen. William McMaster Prof. of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/