[R] help building dataset

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 21:27:14 CEST 2012

Weren't you told to take a look at read.table() (both the function
help and the manual describing it)?

If the rows correspond in each data file, something like

do.call(cbind, lapply(dir(), read.table))

will possibly align the results of read.table()-ing each file in your
directory.

To parse that further:

dir() gives a list of all files in the directory.

lapply( x, FUN) takes a set of values (x) and does FUN to them. Here
it would read.table() on each file name.

do.call(cbind, x) will call the cbind() function on the results of
lapply(). It's sort of like doing cbind(x[1], x[2], x[3], ...) but
doesn't require as much typing or you to know how many columns are
going in.

Michael