[R] drop1, 2-way Unbalanced ANOVA

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:10:15 CEST 2012

On Jul 23, 2012, at 18:58 , Nathan Miller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've spent quite a lot of time searching through the help lists and reading
> about how best to run perform a 2-way ANOVA with unbalanced data. I realize
> this has been covered a great deal so I was trying to avoid adding yet
> another entry to the long list considering the use of different SS, etc.
> Unfortunately, I have come to the point where I feel I have to wade in and
> see if someone can help me out. Hopefully I'll phrase this properly given
> and hopefully it will end up only requiring a simple response.
>
> I have an experiment where I have measured a response variable (such as
> water content) following exposure to two treatments ("oxygen content" and
> "medium"). Oxygen content has three levels (5, 20, 35) and medium has two
> levels (Air, Water). I am interested if water content is different under
> the two treatments and whether the effect of oxygen content depends upon
> the medium in which the experiment was conducted (Air or Water).
>
> Unfortunately, the design is unbalanced as some experimental subjects had
> to be removed from the experiment.
>
> I realize that if I just use aov() to perform a two-way ANOVA the order in
> which the terms ("oxygen content" and "medium") are entered will give
> different results because of the sequential SS.
>
> What I have done in the past is utilize drop1() in conjunction with aov()
>
> drop1(aov(WaterContent~Oxygen*Medium, data), test="F")
>
> to see if the interaction term was significant (F, p-value) and if its
> inclusion improved model fit (AIC). If from this I determine that the
> interaction term can be removed and the model can be rerun without it, I am
> able to test for main-effects and get F and p-values that I can report in a
> manuscript.
>
> However, if the interaction term is significant and its inclusion is
> warranted, drop1() only provide me with SS, F, and p-value for the
> interaction term. Now this is fine, because I do not wish to interpret the
> main-effects with a significant interaction, but in a manuscript reviewers
> will request an "ANOVA table" where l will be asked to report SS, F and
> p-values for the other terms. I don't have those because I used drop1()
> which only provides these for the highest order term in the model.
>
> How best should I calculate the values that I know I will be asked to
> provide in a manuscript?
>
> I don't wish to come across as a scientist who is simply a slave to the F
> and p-values with little regard for the data, the hypotheses, and the
> actual statistical interpretation. I am interested in doing this "right",
> but I also know that practically in the current status of our field, while
> I focus on doing statistics that address my hypotheses of interest and can
> choose to not discuss the main effects in isolation when an interaction
> exists, I will be asked to provide the "ANOVA table" with all the degrees
> [...]

(1) Do yourself a favor and restrict aov() to balanced analyses. It probably won't do anything badly wrong if there is only one error term, but it offers little above plain lm() in those cases.

(2) Give the reviewers what they want, unless clearly ridiculous. In this case it probably isn't. (For one thing, some may want to disregard a weakly significant interaction if one or both tests of main effects are not significant. Also, stating the df etc. gives some indication that the author knows what he is doing and guards against silliness like using category codes as numerical.)

I'd avoid Type-III SS since they have fooled me so often. If you can get away with it, see if they'll accept the _two_ Type-I tables corresponding to

anova(lm(WaterContent ~ Oxygen * Medium, data), test="F")
anova(lm(WaterContent ~ Medium * Oxygen, data), test="F")

If that doesn't work, you can consider selecting the Type-I table that is most relevant, e.g., if "everybody knows" that there is a Medium effect, then ensure that it enters the model first. Alternatively, you can give Type II SS for the main effects, "Medium | Oxygen" and "Oxygen | Medium". In both cases, it would be appropriate to insert a note that the table does not tell the whole story  because of unbalancedness.

However, first and foremost: If there is an interaction, you need to spend some time explaining what its nature is: Simple effect modification, only effect of say Oxygen in some Media, complete effect reversion or....

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com