[R] conditional increase by increment

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Thu Jul 19 19:58:21 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-19 05:56, penguins wrote:
> Thanks William, that works fantastically!
>
> I had a quick play with my data and have realised a potential problem in
> that if an individual ends the series at home it records an additional
> trip-no when one wasnt made. I was wondering whether you could think of a
> way to alter it slightly so that the increment works on the 0 rather than
> the 1;
>
> for example:
> land<-c(0,0,0,0,1,1,1,0,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0)
> the "trip_no" sequence produced would be   1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3

[It would have been nice if you had included context - not everyone
uses the Nabble interface.]

Bill Dunlap's solution to your problem as originally stated was:

   cumsum(c(TRUE, diff(land)==1))

I think that your new requirement is satisfied with

   cumsum(c(TRUE, diff(land) == -1))

Unless, of course, I'm misinterpreting something.

Peter Ehlers