[R] Lavaan Package - How to Extract Residuals in Data Values

Ed Merkle merklee at missouri.edu
Wed Jul 18 05:24:20 CEST 2012

Dear Emily,

The lavaan package is typically used to fit models with latent
variables, and these models are typically fit to the covariance matrix
(and not necessarily to the raw data).  Thus, it is usually not
straightforward to get data residuals from the fitted models. In your
case, it appears that all variables are observed, so you could use
"meanstructure=TRUE" within the sem() command to get the intercept for
your regression.  Then I believe the residuals could be obtained manually.

I also wonder whether your specified model is really what you want. I
believe that, if you estimate error in all your variables and also
specify some covariances between independent variables, the model will
be unidentified.  It appears that you are handling this by fixing b1 to
be zero, but then you are effectively excluding LOG_SR_A_D from the
model.  I wonder whether you can get by with a simple regression model
as estimated by lm().

Ed

--
Ed Merkle, PhD