[R] extract number from a mixture of character and number

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 21:36:27 CEST 2012

Hi,

There are lots; the best choice depends on whether your ID values
always start with "sub_" or not, and you aren't clear. Here's a
general case:

testdata <- c("sub_001", "sub_002", "sub_003")
gsub("[^0-9]", "", testdata)

You can use as.numeric() to convert them if desired.

If you use dput() to provide your data, someone might give you actual
working code.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee