[R] significance test interquartile ranges

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 10:01:45 CEST 2012

On Jul 14, 2012, at 08:16 , Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On 13/07/2012 21:37, Greg Snow wrote:
>> A permutation test may be appropriate:
>
> Yes, it may, but precisely which one is unclear.  You are testing whether the two samples have an identical distribution, whereas I took the question to be a test of differences in dispersion, with differences in location allowed.
>
> I do not think this can be solved without further assumptions.  E.g people often replace the two-sample t-test by the two-sample Wilcoxon test as a test of differences in location, not realizing that the latter is also sensitive to other aspects of the difference (e.g. both dispersion and shape).

(Brian knows this, of course, but I though it useful to insert a little quibbling.)

"Sensitive" is perhaps a little misleading here. The test statistic in the Wilcoxon test is essentially an estimate of the probability that a random observation in one group is bigger than a random observation in the other group. It isn't hard to imagine situation where that quantity is unaffected by a dispersion change so the test is not sensitive in the sense that it can detect dispersion changes between sufficiently large samples.

However, the point is that p values _rely on_ the null hypothesis that two distributions are exactly the same. This is mostly uncontroversial if you are testing for an irrelevant grouping, but if you need confidence intervals for the difference, you are implicitly assuming a location-shift model.

The same thing is true for permutation tests in general: You need to be rather careful about what the assumptions are that allows you to interchange things. Asymptotically, the distribution of the IQR depends on the values of the density at the true quartiles. These could be different in the two groups, and easily completely unrelated to those of a  pooled sample.

I think that I would suggest finding an error estimate for the IQR (or maybe log IQR) in each group separately, perhaps by bootstrapping, and then compare between groups with an asymptotic z test. The main caveat is whether you have sufficiently large sample sizes for asymptotics to hold.

Peter D.