[R] significance test interquartile ranges

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 22:37:39 CEST 2012

A permutation test may be appropriate:

1. compute the ratio of the 2 IQR values (or other comparison of interest)
2. combine the data from the 2 samples into 1 pool, then randomly
split into 2 groups (matching sample sizes of original) and compute
the ratio of the IQR values for the 2 new samples.
3. repeat #2 a bunch of times (like for a total of 999 random splits)
and combine with the original value.
4. (optional, but strongly suggested) plot a histogram of all the
ratios and place a reference line of the original ratio on the plot.
5. calculate the proportion of ratios that are as extreme or more
extreme than the original, this is the (approximate) p-value.