[R] Chunking in RCurl using getBinaryURL()

els elsander at microstrain.com
Wed Jul 11 14:53:01 CEST 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to the RCurl package, and I'm having some issues with
reading in my data the way I want to. I have binary data that I've only been
able to read in correctly using getBinaryURL(), but I also want to read the
data in chunks (it's a huge timeseries dataset).  According to documentation
on RCurl (http://www.omegahat.org/RCurl/RCurlJSS.pdf), you can write your
own chunking function and pass it to getURL() using the 'write' option, but
a 'write' option is already preset for getBinaryURL(), so that isn't an
option.

So what I would like to do is either specify a chunking option for
getBinaryURL(), or make getURL() work for binary data so that I have the
option to write my own chunking function. Any tips would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,

Liz Sander
Microstrain