[R] Predicted values for zero-inflated Poisson

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Tue Jul 10 15:45:39 CEST 2012

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, Laura Lee wrote:

> Alain-
>
> Thanks again for the response. I guess my question is more related to R,
> which I'm learning as I go along. Could you provide guidance as to how I
> would code this in R?

That depends on what exactly you want to predict.

As Alain said: The type="count" predictions are probably not interesting
to you. In the JSS paper accompanying zeroinfl, these correspond to
exp(x'b) in Equation 8.

More interesting is probably the mean (1 - pi) * exp(x'b) which is the
expected mean mu_i in Equation 8. This can be obtained as type="response".

Additionally, you might be interested in the individual probabilities for
counts of 0, 1, 2, ... etc. This corresponds to evaluating Equation 7
for y = 0, 1, 2, ... which can be obtained via type="prob". And from this
you could also get the mode or median rather than the mean of the
distribution.

hth,