[R] heatmaps and layouts

Joseph Clark joeclark77 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 9 22:13:22 CEST 2012

With base graphics, you could use par(mfrow) or par(mfcol) to define a simple layout.

I don't know anything about heatmap.2, but I have used image() to make heatmaps and have laid them out with par(mfrow).

Two ways to get a 2 row by 3 column layout, for example:

par(mfrow = c(3,2))  # 3 items across each row, 2 rows

par(mfcol = c(2,3))  # 2 items down each column, 3 columns

Start with the par() statement, then each new plot() or image() or whatever will appear in a different position in the layout, as you specify. Again I have no idea if it'll work with heatmap.2.

// joseph w. clark , phd candidate
\\ usc marshall school of business