[R] Definition of AIC (Akaike information criterion) for normal error models

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 7 09:31:53 CEST 2012

On 06/07/2012 09:14, Kunio takezawa wrote:
> Dear R users (r-help at r-project.org),
>
>     The definition of  AIC (Akaike information criterion)
> for normal error models has just been changed.

Excuse me, who empowered you to re-write history?  Maybe Dr Akaike could
have changed his definition, but he is no longer with us to do so.

And 'AIC' was not an abbreviation of 'Akaike information criterion'
according to Dr Akaike ....

I am sure that R will continue to use the definition given by Dr Akaike
for its AIC() function: if your intention was to try to get that
changed, this was the wrong list to post to.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk