[R] Specify model with polynomial interaction terms up to degree n

YTP cprice at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 00:52:45 CEST 2012

I think you have taken my toy example seriously. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but
I am in fact not working with a dataset of 3 observations of the numbers 1
through 6 and trying to estimate anything; that was an example to illustrate
what I am asking for, namely, turning two variables like this

 X1 X2
  1  4
  2  5
  3  6

into a dataset like this

 1  4   16
 4  10  25
 9  18  36

where each column is the interaction between certain polynomial terms of the
original variables, such that each column has a sum of exponents equal to 2
(or whatever degree n is desired). My apologies if I wasn't clear, any other
ideas would be appreciated. It appears the poly command you mentioned is
only taking powers of a single vector.