[R] Genetic Matching, GenMatch

macguilm martinmacguill at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 19:59:57 CEST 2012

I am examining whether there is causal relationship between blood transfusion
and infections in very small children undergoing heart surgery. My treatment
groups are "high transfusion" and "low transfusion".

After performing genetic matching, there remains significant imbalance for
two covariates: body weight and volume of blood lost during the operation.

This makes clinical sense - really small children ALWAYS require
transfusion; and the greater the blood loss, the greater the transfusion.

Is there anything more I can do in GenMatch so that these two covariates are
balanced between the treatment groups or do I have to accept that they
cannot be balanced?

With thanks for any help you can offer me,

Martin