[R] wireframe_box_axis

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Jan 29 13:45:55 CET 2012

On Jan 28, 2012, at 6:44 PM, hack at komarac.biologija.unios.hr wrote:

> Thank you very much for help. But would you be kind to show me on this
> simple example how to obtain x, y and z axis. Namely, it is not
> problem to
> avoid box with "par.box = list(col="transparent")" but to keep axis?
>
> library(lattice)
> x <- seq(-pi, pi, len = 20)
> y <- seq(-pi, pi, len = 20)
> g <- expand.grid(x = x, y = y)
> g$z <- sin(sqrt(g$x^2 + g$y^2))
> wireframe(z ~ x * y, g, drape = TRUE,
> perspective = FALSE,
> aspect = c(3,1), colorkey = FALSE,
> par.box = list(col=NA))
>
> On this plot there are wireframe with arrows, I need axis with tick
> marks
> and no arrows (and of course no box.)

I didn't notice until this morning that the OP had not copied the list
with this follow-up question. This is what I sent in reply. If it is
incorrect on hte issue of it not being possible to draw axis lines, I
would like to be corrected.

--- sent to "hack" ----
As shown in the second example in the cloud/wireframe help page (which
happened to be the one I was using earlier to test the par.box
strategy in the regrettable absence of a working example from you):

... , scales=list(arrows=FALSE),  # to remove the arrows

And that example certainly looks like the second example, anyway. What
could be your additional goal is drawing not only axis ticks and
labels but also the portions of the box that would be associated with
the ticks and labels. The only instance in the archives I could find
in 2003 was a statement by Sarkar that such an options was not
available as of that time.
------- end quote ----

I did find a later message from Sarkar (circa 2006) that  said there
were plans to allow hiding of box elements in the back, but I really
did my best to review the help pages and look at the box.3d
  parameters and could not find how to do that.

--
David.

> Thanks in advance!!!
>

>> On Jan 28, 2012, at 5:06 PM, Branimir Hackenberger wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all!
>>>
>>> I am using wireframe function from lattice package.
>>>

>>> Is it possible to remove box around the plot but to  keep axis (x,
>>> y, z)?
>>
>> First hit on a search "make box transparent lattice sarkar":
>>
>> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02/archive/17797.html
>>
>>  ... , par.box = list(col="transparent") ,
>>
>> --
>>
>> David Winsemius, MD
>> West Hartford, CT

David Winsemius, MD