[R] Using the digest and t distribution.

Rohit Pandey rohitpandey576 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 19:08:05 CET 2012

Hello R community,

I have two questions:
The first might be one of the silliest ever posted here and I
apologize if I've missed some thing very obvious. It relates to using
this digest. When I subscribed to the forum, I had chosen the "digest"
option that bundles all mails every day into a single digest.

Now, I posted a question a while ago on the logistic regression
function and got no reply. After a while, I realized that it was
probably bundled up in one of the digests. So, looked through them and
found my question in Vol107, issue 16. My question was number 34 in it
and some one had posted a solution to it which appeared in item number
42. However, when I scrolled down to the bottom of the digest, it went
only up to 24. In any case, I've tried searching a a variety of other
things and just can't find the solution posted to my question in the
body (I couldn't even thank the solution provider). Can some one
please tell me where  I can find it and if there is an easy way to
access particular mails sent to you.

My second question is related to the fitting the t distribution with
the fitdistr function. I am actually trying to fit it to the standard
data set in the Ecdat package. Here is my code:
>library(ecdat)
>data(SP500)
#Fitting a normal distribution runs just fine.
> fitdistr(SP500[[1]],"normal")
       mean            sd
  0.0004180994   0.0108610082
 (0.0002058797) (0.0001455789)
#But when I try the t:
> fitdistr(SP500[[1]],"t")
        m              s              df
  0.0005236326   0.0083937340   9.9999984297
 (0.0001721041) (         NaN) (         NaN)
There were 17 warnings (use warnings() to see them)

#I get these NaN and warnings.
Am I doing some thing wrong here?

Also, if some one relies, could you please mark any reply to my
personal ID as well (rohitpandey576 at gmail.com)?

--
Thanks in advance,
Rohit