[R] Null models of species co-occurrence

Dallas tad.dallas at drakeresearchlab.com
Tue Jan 24 21:22:15 CET 2012

I am currently testing species co-occurrence patterns using null models and
the oecosimu() function within the vegan() package. My issue is that none of
the methods appear to be the ones that I want. The methods listed are r0,
r1, r2, r2dtable, swap, tswap. However, I want to know how to go about
implementing fixed row algorithms, as suggested in Gotelli 2000 in Ecology.

Also, the null models created seem to be incredibly dependent on the 1)
burnin and 2) thin values. These are the 1) Number of null communities
discarded before proper analysis in sequential methods "swap" and "tswap"
and 2) Number of discarded null communities between two evaluations of
nestedness statistic in sequential methods "swap" and "tswap". What are the
significance of these values?