[R] passing "..." arguments to (plot.ca)

Ian Robertson igr at stanford.edu
Sun Jan 22 21:23:52 CET 2012

I am hoping someone can give me a couple of pointers on how to pass
arguments using "..."--in this specific case in an attempt to plot an
object created by ca(), a tool for correspondence analysis.

#some illustrative code
library(ca)
set.seed(123)
dat1 <- data.frame(matrix(ceiling(runif(30, 1, 100)), nc=5)) #some fake data
ca1 <- ca(dat1) #the correspondence analysis
plot(ca1) #basic symmetric plot
plot(ca1, ylim=c(-.4, .5), cex=2, xlab="CA Axis 1") #failed attempt to
control various "extra" parameters
   title(xlab="CA Axis 1") #this gets me access to xlabels...
?plot.ca #help!

The last line suggests that "..." can be used to pass on arguments to
plot (and points), but I can't seem to make it work. I have in the past
been able to pass arguments to various tools (such plotting tools in the
lattice library) using list(), but I can't get anything similar to work
in this case. I have done some searching in the help archives (and
various of my R books) without identifying anything helpful--so any
suggestions for specific code I might try, or things I need to go read,
etc., would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ian

--
Ian G. Robertson