[R] Create subset using variable

pansophy mjs2134 at columbia.edu
Sat Jan 21 21:18:02 CET 2012

I am trying to create a loop that will perform a series of analyses.  I am
using geeglm from geepack, which fails if there are any null values.
Creating a subset solves this, but do not seem to be able to set the subset
dynamically based on a changing variable.

while (j <= y.num) {

     strSubset = as.character(df.IV$IV[j])  #Gives column name in quotes
     df.data.sub = subset(df.data, strSubset>=0)

#subset dataset is not created

 # analyses on subset take place

    j = j + 1
 }

If I type the variable name in the formula it works, so I assume that I am
not creating the variable in a manner that allows it to be evaluated in the
subset function.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Michael