[R] Function movie3d in rgl library resulting in black/blank output

Manabu Sakamoto manabu.sakamoto at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 19:02:46 CET 2012

Dear list,

I have encountered a problem with the movie3d function in the rgl
library where the output movie (gif) or the individual frames (png)
are completely black. I have looked on the internet and found a thread
titled "movie3d function in the rgl package" posted to the R-help
mailing list in 2008 by Dan McGlinn. Apparently the problem was not
solved. I could not find a solution anywhere on the internet and am
hoping someone on this list will be able to help me.

After I plot a 3D scatter plot using plot3d, I use this command to
output a gif movie:
  movie3d(spin3d(axis=c(0,0,1), rpm=4), duration=15, movie="3D-SPIN",
convert=TRUE, clean=TRUE, verbose=TRUE, type="gif")

and this command to output individual png files:
  movie3d(spin3d(axis=c(0,0,1), rpm=4), duration=15, movie="3D-SPIN",
convert=FALSE, clean=FALSE, verbose=TRUE)

Does anyone know what the problem may be and how it can be solved? I
am using Windows7 and have ImageMagick installed properly (as far as I
can tell)...

best regards,
Manabu
--