[R] cacheSweave questions (usage and forward compatibility)

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 14:50:19 CET 2012

Tal Galili <tal.galili <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to ask several questions regarding cacheSweave:
> 1) Is there a way to set "cache=true" globally? (I tried it
> using \SweaveOpts but it didn't seem to work)
>  2) Is there a way to "flush" specific cache once it is created? (other
> then erasing the entire cache directory)?  Changing the code in the code
> chunk seems to do it, but I am not sure to what extent.  For example - if I
> add at the end of the code chunk a number (say 1 - that will be printed),
> it will reevaluate the code chunk.  However, if I remove that number, it
> will not re-evaluate the code chunk.
> 3) To what extent does cacheSweave rely on Sweave? For example: I see that
> the latest Sweave document is from October 31, 2011 while the latest update
> to cacheSweave is from 2011-07-23.  Does that mean that there are new
> features or bug fixes that are introduced to Sweave which are not available
> through cacheSweave?  (from the manual it says that cacheSweave is based on
> the code version of R 2.5.0.  What does that mean in terms of
> features/bugs?)-

  I hope you get an answer here, but especially the last question
seems appropriate for the package maintainer.
  I'm enthusiastic about knitr, it seems to solve a lot of the frustrations
I was having trying to get all the (reliable) features I wanted from
the combination of {Sweave, cacheSweave,  pgfSweave, weaver} ...