[R] quantile type 1 perhaps?

Francisco franciscororolaio at google.com
Wed Jan 18 10:56:00 CET 2012

Hello,
I need to analyse some data coming from a questionnaire which have for
each item a likert scale 1-5. I need to find the lowest scores in the
distribution, and for this purpose I thought to use the quantile()
function to identify the participants belonging to the 5% with lowest
scores (who have a score < than quantile, am I right?).
The problem is: which type of quantile should I calculate? I suppose
type 1, since it is a discontinuous distribution, but I don't understand
very well the differences between type 2 and 3.

Thank you,
Francisco