[R] result numeric(0) when using variable1[which(variable2="max(variable2)"]

Nerak nerak.t at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 17 11:35:36 CET 2012

Dear all,
I have a question about the knowing for which row I have the max value of
one of my variables.
I calculated the Rsquared for different columns and made a list to gather
them. I unlisted this list to create a vector with this values. I want to
know for which column I have the max value of Rsquared.
The columns were always named in the same way. They always start with
results4$depth_ following by the number. The numbers are constructed as:
seq(1,10,0.1). But if the R squared values are now in 1 column, I don’t know
for which column they are calculated. So I made a new data frame with both
columns:
R2 <- unlist(LIST)
Cvalue <- c(seq(1,10,0.1))
results5 <- data.frame(Cvalue,R2)

# I know I can calculate the max value of Rsquared by this way:

max(results5$R2)

# now I want to know to which Cvalue this belongs. I would write it like
this:
results5$Cvalue[which(results5$R2 == "max(results5$R2)")]
# But I always get the solution:
numeric(0)
# I don’t know if these Rsquared values are in a kind of format that this
doesn’t work? (I used before for similar things, and I experienced that for
example it cannot works if R recognizes the values as a date).  Maybe
because it’s with a lot of decimals? (eg 2.907530e-01) I know that
max(results5$R2) is in this example 0.6081547 and I can see that that
belongs to the Cvalue == 1.8. It works in the opposite way.
results5$R2[which(results5$Cvalue == "1.8")]
# But neither
results5$Cvalue[which(results5$R2 == "0.6081547")]
# nor
results5$Cvalue[which(results5$R2 == "max(results5$R2)")]
# works…

I hope someone can help me with this problem
Kind regards
Nerak